Can the history of an institution be kept inside a building? At U.Porto, our legacy is preserved in modern buildings harmoniously integrated into the urban landscape and a set of buildings that have witnessed almost 250 of great history.
One of these special buildings is the Historic Building of the University, located in the Gomes Teixeira Square (or Lion's Square).
U.Porto's "mother-house" was built on the foundations of the Boarding School for Orphan Boys and the Church of Nossa Senhora da Graça (17th century). The Royal Marine and Commerce Academy was also housed here, and later the Polytechnic Academy of Porto, both predecessors of the University of Porto.
After the University's establishment in 1911, the building started to host the Rectory, the Faculty of Sciences (1911-2006), the Technical Faculty (1915-1937), the first Faculty of Arts and Humanities (1919) and the Faculty of Economics (1953-1974).
After a fire that destroyed part of the building in 1974, the Rectory services were transferred to the former CICAP facilities in Rua D. Manuel II. They would return in 2007 after moving from the Faculty of Sciences to the Campo Alegre campus.
In addition to the Rectory services, the same building hosts the Main campus of the Natural History and Science Museum of the University of Porto (MHNC-UP), the Casa Comum, the University of Porto Shop and the historic Old Collection Library.