Held by the Vice-Rector for Research and Innovation, IJUP has taken place in the second semester of each academic year since 2008.
The event provides U.Porto students with the opportunity to present and discuss the results of the projects they have been involved in as part of their studies. The initiation to research programme aims to encourage the early participation of U.Porto students in R&D activities during their academic careers.
Specially designed for 1st and 2nd cycle students (bachelor's, master's and integrated master's degree students) at U.Porto, the IJUP has the following objectives:
- to facilitate students’ contact with the methodologies of knowledge creation and their understanding of the specific dynamics of this process by enhancing student training and promoting new teaching/learning models;
- to attract potential researchers to U.Porto's R&D groups while contributing to sparking interest in scientific research;
- to encourage public discussion regarding the results of the work carried out while supporting student participation in interdisciplinary scientific meetings at U.Porto or partner universities;
- to stimulate the incorporation of students from complementary fields of knowledge in U.Porto's R&D groups, aiming at the development of multidisciplinary projects;
- to provide more internal and external visibility of the skills of U.Porto’s various R&D groups.