The origins of the University of Porto
With roots dating back to the 18th century and a combination of educational experiences that would become the future University, the U.Porto was formally established on 22 March 1911, shortly after the establishment of the Republic in Portugal.
Initially, the U.Porto was structured into two faculties: Science and Medicine. Still during the First Republic, the Technical Faculty was created in 1915 (renamed the Faculty of Engineering in 1926), the Faculty of Arts and Humanities in 1919 and the Faculty of Pharmacy in 1925.
The growth of the University of Porto would, however, be halted during the dictatorship that ruled Portugal between 1926 and 1974. In 1928 the Faculty of Arts was extinguished, only to be reopened in 1961. In fact, only the Faculty of Economics (1953) was truly founded from scratch during this period.