CIIE is a research institution in the field of Education Sciences, based at the Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences of the University of Porto. Evaluated by FCT as ‘Excellent’ in the last evaluation, it has become the highest ranked R&D institution in this area in Portugal (ex aequo with another centre).
CIIE develops high quality research on key issues of change and educational and social processes, in order to expand the role of education in promoting equity, inclusion and active citizenship. Created in 1988, CIIE has a long track-record of excellence in research and training on a wide range of educational and social issues across all educational sectors, from early years to higher education.
The Centre currently operates in 9 strategic areas:
- Engaging vulnerable youth in education and training.
- Contemporary educational challenges for migrants and refugees.
- Empowerment and inclusion through digital arts education.
- Citizenship, communication and literacy in health and well-bein.
- Higher education, innovation and diversity.
- Community education, participation and social change.
- Training, equity and the teaching profession.
- Evaluation and public policy in education.
- Educational management and democratic participation.
With 70 integrated members and 50 collaborators, in a welcoming and stimulating environment, CIIE has been able to consolidate a high level of scientific and implementation capacity, with a vast network of partnerships and international recognition, which has provided significant success in attracting external funding.