U.Porto makes certain applications available for the academic community throughout the campus.
The antivirus solution ESET Endpoint Protection should be used to protect institutional computers, servers and the personal computers of students and staff, ensuring the safety of the machines that interact with the U.Porto network and services.
Installations on the personal computers of students, staff and researchers require a pre-registration in Autodesk. Then it is necessary to download the desired applications.
It enables you to save, organise and use bibliographic references when writing documents. With EndNote, it is possible to search online in bibliographic databases and associate different types of files to the references. The integration of this tool with MS Word facilitates the creation of scientific documents.
It is available as described above.
Register at https://www.myendnoteweb.com using your institutional email.
Download the application on the EndNote Downloads page and register with EndNote Web credentials to synchronise information.
A tool used to provide support to the management and development of research designs. It is available on the Idea Puzzle website and can be accessed upon pre-registration using an institutional email.
- Gives structure to research designs and reviews in any field of knowledge
- Supports the management and development of research designs
- Facilitates learning and teaching on the subject of research methods
- Increases scientific productivity in terms of projects and publications
IdeaPuzzle offers a prize of 1000€ to the best doctoral research design created with the application.
MATLAB is a programming and numeric computing platform used by millions of engineers and scientists to analyze data, develop algorithms, and create models.
To access the software and resources provided under the academic agreement is compulsory:
- Prior registration with the institutional email account
- OR authenticating with a previously created account
- Access the "MatLab for the University of Porto" Portal
- Click on the button "Sign in to get started" that is in the body of the page
- If you do not have any previous registration with the institutional email account, select the option "No account? Create one!" and fill in the form that is presented consulting, if necessary, the instructions for creating the MathWorks account and installing the individual license
The available benefits also include access to the platforms:
- MatLab Grader - a platform for automatic assessment of MATLAB code, including the possibility of integration with LMS systems (Moodle, Blackboard, etc.)
- Online Training Suite - online platform, with access to self-paced learning courses for all teachers, non-teaching staff, researchers and students
- 5G Toolbox;
- Aerospace Blockset; Aerospace Toolbox; Antenna Toolbox; Audio Toolbox; Automated Driving Toolbox; AUTOSAR Blockset;
- Bioinformatics Toolbox; Bluetooth Toolbox;
- Communications Toolbox; Computer Vision Toolbox; Control System Toolbox; Curve Fitting Toolbox;
- Data Acquisition Toolbox; Database Toolbox; Datafeed Toolbox; DDS Blockset; Deep Learning Toolbox; Deep Learning HDL Toolbox; DSP HDL Toolbox; DSP System Toolbox;
- Econometrics Toolbox; Embedded Coder;
- Filter Design HDL Coder; Financial Instruments Toolbox; Financial Toolbox; Fixed-Point Designer; Fuzzy Logic Toolbox;
- Global Optimization Toolbox; GPU Coder;
- HDL Coder; HDL Verifier;
- Image Acquisition Toolbox; Image Processing Toolbox; Industrial Communication Toolbox; Instrument Control Toolbox;
- Lidar Toolbox; LTE Toolbox;
- Mapping Toolbox; MATLAB Coder; MATLAB Compiler; MATLAB Compiler SDK; MATLAB Parallel Server; MATLAB Production Server; MATLAB Report Generator; MATLAB Web App Server; Medical Imaging Toolbox; Mixed-Signal Blockset; Model Predictive Control Toolbox; Model-Based Calibration Toolbox; Motor Control Blockset;
- Navigation Toolbox;
- Optimization Toolbox;
- Parallel Computing Toolbox; Partial Differential Equation Toolbox; Phased Array System Toolbox; Polyspace Bug Finder; Polyspace Code Prover; Powertrain Blockset; Predictive Maintenance Toolbox;
- Radar Toolbox; Reinforcement Learning Toolbox; Requirements Toolbox; RF Blockset; RF PCB Toolbox; RF Toolbox; Risk Management Toolbox; Roadrunner; Roadrunner Asset Library; RoadRunner Scenario; RoadRunner Scene Builder; Robotics System Toolbox; Robust Control Toolbox; ROS Toolbox;
- Satellite Communications Toolbox; Sensor Fusion and Tracking Toolbox; SerDes Toolbox; Signal Integrity Toolbox; Signal Processing Toolbox; SimBiology; SimEvents; Simscape; Simscape Battery; Simscape Driveline; Simscape Electrical; Simscape Fluids; Simscape Multibody; Simulink 3D Animation; Simulink Check; Simulink Code Inspector; Simulink Coder; Simulink Compiler; Simulink Control Design; Simulink Coverage; Simulink Design Optimization; Simulink Design Verifier; Simulink Desktop Real-Time; Simulink PLC Coder; Simulink Real-Time; Simulink Report Generator; Simulink Test; SoC Blockset; Spreadsheet Link; Stateflow; Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox; Symbolic Math Toolbox; System Composer; System Identification Toolbox;
- Text Analytics Toolbox;
- UAV Toolbox;
- Vehicle Dynamics Blockset; Vehicle Network Toolbox; Vision HDL Toolbox;
- Wavelet Toolbox; Wireless HDL Toolbox; Wireless Testbench; WLAN Toolbox.
- It is suggested that you remove any version of the software already installed and install the latest version available on the "MATLAB for the University of Porto" Portal
- The licensing allows the use of the software in classrooms, as well as in personal and institutional computers of the academic community (teachers, non teachers, researchers and students) of the U.Porto
- Read additional documentation on the use of the various products
The licencing of Microsoft® Enrollment for Education Solution (EES) offers the Microsoft® 365 A3 Education package, which includes the following services:
- Office 365 A3 (with rights to Office Professional Plus)
- Windows 10 Education A3
- Enterprise Mobility Security
- Windows CALs and Productivity CALs
These services can be used on institutional computers, as well as on the personal computers of Knowledge Workers (staff) of the Institutions that are subscribed to them with a valid agreement. In case the institutional affiliation ends, the products installed under this condition must be uninstalled. In relation to the Windows operative system, its use is only possible on computers that already have a valid Windows (OEM) or MacOS licence.
The contract signed with Microsoft® also includes licences for various helpful products, according to what is indicated by the different university institutes. In particular, licences are available for Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server, SharePoint and System Center. In certain cases, these licences have to be complemented with additional CALs when they are not included in the basic package.
In the context of EES (Enrollment for Education Solution), the subscription is contracted based on the number of institutional users (Knowledge Workers), which would be any hired or voluntary worker (including working students) who uses Microsoft software or qualified devices for the benefit of the institution or in a relationship between the user and the institution. In the case of the University of Porto, Knowledge Workers are the institution’s staff and employees that use Microsoft products and are registered in SIGARRA with an Active status, irrespective of working full-time or part-time. Only the number of users specified in the agreement can benefit from accessing the contracted services and products.
Next, we will present the additional benefits included in the subscription of Microsoft® EES.
Joining Microsoft®'s cloud
Students and staff can join Microsoft's enterprise cloud, where the user can execute Office 365 in the cloud or download it to his/her personal computer. On each account, downloads are limited to 5 per PC or MAC.
Some Microsoft® cloud services associated with the Office 365 account:
- Use of OneDrive for file storage (1 TB)
- Access to a business mailbox on Exchange Online (50 GB)
- Use of SharePoint Online to create and access internal collaborative websites
- Use of Yammer as the institution's private social network.
Teaching and learning support
The EES programme provides access to Azure Dev Tools for Teaching and facilitates the use of professional development tools, software and services in the educational process by lecturers and students in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
Previously known as Microsoft® Imagine (ex-DreamSpark, ex-MSDNAA), this programme offers the training and learning materials needed for academic education in a single online portal and without any associated costs.
The benefits available under this programme are exclusively for the purpose of teaching, learning and research. They cannot be used to support departmental infrastructure. The platform offers various development and test tools where Microsoft® Office is not included.
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching offers:
- Access to the platform of development tools and software for desktop computers and servers, as well as technical support.
- Special installation rights of the various products in departmental laboratory computers for the purpose of training and research.
- The possibility, for students and staff, to instal software in their personal computers so they can use it for teaching, learning and development projects.
- Online access to all Azure Dev Tools for Teaching content.
Consult Azure Dev Tools for Teaching FAQ.
Acesso to Azure by students
The Microsoft® EES programme includes Azure for Students online solutions, which gives students the possibility to create their personal projects. The student can create a free account on Azure, which includes various services for 12 months, additional credit to explore any Azure service for 30 days and access to several services for free.
Consult the use and eligibility conditions.
Microsoft® Learn is a free online learning platform, which lets you discover Azure technologies at your own rhythm and, in that way, improve individual skills. Learning paths can be defined using modules of different levels that lead to an acknowledged certification or to more advanced studies.
The Statistical Package for Social Sciences is a set of tools for data processing and statistical analysis.
The software can be installed on students' computers (as long as they are enrolled in a Course/Cycle of Studies), as well as on the computers of lecturers and staff (as long as they are registered in the Information System with an "active" status.
It includes the following modules:
- Statistic Base
- Data Preparation
- Exact Tests
- Neural Networks
- Advanced Statistics
- Complex Samples
- Custom Tables
- Missing Values
- The numbers represent your student/mechanographic number and "institution" represents your home institution (cdup, arq, fade, fba, fc, fcna, direito, fe, fep, ff, fmd, fpce, icbas, letras, med, reit, sas or sp).