The Old Collection Library of the University of Porto, located in the Rectorate's historical building, has a document collection with restricted access that is available for consultation. The chronological range of the works is between the 16th and the 20th century.
This stock is intimately connected to the University's history and its faculties, particularly the Faculty of Science (FCUP). It originated from the libraries of the schools prior to it, namely: Aula de Náutica (1762), Aula de Debuxo e Desenho (1779), Academia Real da Marinha e Comércio (1803), Academia Politécnica (1837) and finally, the University of Porto, from 1911.
The Library's heritage includes almost 2000 engravings for interpretation and works by former students that date back to the drawing lessons of the Academia Real da Marinha e do Comércio (Royal Academy of Navy and Commerce) and the Academia Politécnica (Polytechnic Academy).
Part of this stock is already catalogued and available for consultation online on U.Porto's Catalogue of Old Stock page.
On-site consultation of documents needs to be scheduled. Its authorisation depends on the intended purpose.
The scheduling of on-site consultations should be done using an institutional email. Please send your message to email@example.com.
After the on-site consultation is duly approved, it will take place at:Reitoria da Universidade do Porto,
Praça Gomes Teixeira,