The aim of the 2SMART, engineered smart materials for smart citizens, project proposal is to develop smart solutions of engineering and design to improve quality of life and health of citizens. 2SMART fits in the "Climate-neutral and Smart Cities" mission of Horizon Europe, where the “cities and metropolitan areas”, as centers of economic activity, knowledge generation, innovation and new technologies, impact upon the quality of life of citizens who live and/or work in them and they are major contributors to global challenges.
2SMART project will profit from the complementary competences and resources of the participating R&D units of the University of Porto, creating synergies from fundamental to applied research, where art and innovation combine. Together the 4 R&D units, LEPABE, Laboratory for Process Engineering, Environment, Biotechnology and Energy; LSRE-LCM, Laboratory of Separation and Reaction Engineering – Laboratory of Catalysis and Materials; CEFT, Transport Phenomena Research Center and i2ADS, Research Institute in Art, Design and Society, will link their knowledge and resources to provide the Northern Region of Portugal with efficient solutions through the following activities.
Engineered smart materials for energy
Engineered smart materials for protection of air quality
Engineered smart materials by digital manufacturing for environmental applications
Engineered smart materials for cancer diagnosis and therapy
Communicating science and technology with art and design
- Semiconductors to increase the selectivity of eletrochemical reduction of carbon dioxide
Mendes, A. M. M.; Lagarteira, T.; Dias, P. PT117008, 2021.
- Process for preparing lipid nanoparticles based on matrix containing liquid and solid lipids to be used in drug delivery of levodopa and other active molecules to target the brain.
Pereira, M. C.; Loureiro, J. A.; Nunes, D.; Ramalho, M. J.; Andrade, S. PT NPAT455, 2022.
- Oligonucleotides modified with cationic groups conjugated with transporter molecules/vectors for intracellular delivery
Pereira, S.R.S, Santos, R.S., Moreira, L.M.A., Guimarães, N.M., Azevedo, N.F. EP21210832.8, 2021.
- The red seaweed grateloupia turuturu prevents epidermal dysplasia in hpv16-transgenic mice
Almeida, J., Ferreira, T., Santos, S., Pires, M.J., da Costa, R.M.G., Medeiros, R., Bastos, M.M.S.M., Neuparth, M.J., Faustino-Rocha, A.I., Abreu, H., Pereira, R., Pacheco, M., Gaivão, I., Rosa, E., Oliveira, P.A.,(2021) Nutrients, 13 (12), art. no. 4529.
- Caffeic acid for the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease: The effect of lipid membranes on the inhibition of aggregation and disruption of Aβ fibrils
Andrade, S., Loureiro, J.A., Pereira, M.C.,(2021) International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 190, pp. 853-861.
- Influence of in vitro neuronal membranes on the anti-amyloidogenic activity of gallic acid: Implication for the therapy of Alzheimer's disease
Andrade, S., Loureiro, J.A., Pereira, M.D.C.,(2021) Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 711, art. no. 109022.
- A selection of platforms to evaluate surface adhesion and biofilm formation in controlled hydrodynamic conditions
Gomes, L.C., Mergulhão, F.J.M.,(2021) Microorganisms, 9 (9), art. no. 1993.
- Lipid nanoparticles containing mixtures of antioxidants to improve skin care and cancer prevention
Gonçalves, C., Ramalho, M.J., Silva, R., Silva, V., Marques-Oliveira, R., Silva, A.C., Pereira, M.C., Loureiro, J.A.,(2021) Pharmaceutics, 13 (12), art. no. 2042.
- The interaction of a β2 adrenoceptor agonist drug with biomimetic cell membrane models: The case of terbutaline sulphate
Loureiro, J.A., Andrade, S., Ramalho, M.J., Oliveira, N., Pereira, M.C.,(2021) Life Sciences, 285, art. no. 119992.
- Differential incidence of tongue base cancer in male and female hpv16-transgenic mice: role of female sex hormone receptors
Neto, C.P.O., Medeiros-Fonseca, B., Estêvão, D., Mestre, V.F., Costa, N.R., de Andrade, F.E., Oliveira, P.A., Bastos, M.M.S.M., Medeiros, R., Assis, D., Félix, A., Lopes, F.F., Gil da Costa, R.M., Brito, H.O., Brito, L.M.O.,(2021) Pathogens, 10 (10), art. no. 1224.
Carolina Grilo Santos